I'm a HUGE fan of a high-quality protein and fat-powered breakfast that can be prepared in just a few minutes the night prior to enjoying it!
Cue the "Overnight Oats"! With so many ingredient combinations and flavour profiles available as options, Overnight Oats make for a versatile and reliable breakfast that keeps me satiated leading up to lunch!
When we're considering how to incorporate high-quality protein into our breakfast, we can consider relying on:
Raw nuts and/or seeds (un-roasted, unsalted/unseasoned and preferably organic; preferably stored in the refrigerator in airtight glass containers to reduce rancidity and maintain freshness) (i.e. flax seed, chia seed, hemp seed, walnuts, pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts)
Nut/seed butter (i.e. almond, cashew, sunflower)
A high-quality protein powder (my favourite are those that are fermented/sprouted, such as Genuine Health's Fermented Vegan Proteins+)
High-quality eggs (i.e. pasture-raised or organic)
High-quality protein (ideally pasture-raised or organic, as is the case in a chicken or turkey-based breakfast hash)
With "Overnight Oats", the solid ingredients are simply combined in a mason jar or other airtight container (preferable glass or stainless steel), the liquid ingredient is poured overtop, and the mixture sets in the fridge overnight.
The next morning, you give the mixture a gentle stir and pour it into your favourite bowl, if not consuming it right out of the mason jar or other container with your spoon!
You can certainly garnish the Overnight Oats with additional ingredient(s) used in the original mixture, or another ingredient of your choice.
Here's one of my favourite combinations, as I just can't get enough blueberries during the summer months!
Blueberry, Flax & Chia Overnight Oats
Yield: 1 serving
Prep Time: ~5 minutes
Set Time: ~8 hours (overnight)
Total Time: 8 hours, 5 minutes
1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 fresh blueberries (or berry of choice)
1 heaping tbsp. (whole) flax seeds
2 tsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp, pure maple syrup (for subtle sweetness!)
A generous sprinkling of cinnamon
3/4 cup almond milk (or nut/seed milk of choice)
Unsweetened, shredded coconut (*optional, as garnish)
1. Add the gluten-free rolled oats and blueberries to the bottom of a mason jar.
2. Add in the whole flax seeds, chia seeds and pure maple syrup.
3. Add a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
4. Pour the almond milk over the mixture. If needed, use a spoon to ensure all contents are soaking in the milk, prior to sealing the jar and placing it in the refrigerator to set. You can even give the mixture a gentle stir to mix the contents within the milk.
5. Let set for 8 hours (preferably overnight).
6. Once set, gently stir the mixture and enjoy, whether it be straight from the mason jar or by pouring it into your favourite breakfast bowl! *Optional: garnish the Overnight Oats with unsweetened, shredded coconut, or an alternate garnish of your choice!
Flax and chia seeds are a rich source of fiber and supportive of digestive health
They are a source of plant-based protein and anti-inflammatory, Omega-3 fatty acids
Combined with the fiber from the oats and blueberries and the blood sugar balancing properties of the mineral Chromium that is found in cinnamon, this is one satiating, nutrient-dense breakfast!